I have been posting as I write, but I'm sure I can't keep up the schedule of one or more posts a day. Shirley (my wonderful wife and author of EC) is a very experienced author who updates every weekday. I don't think I can keep up with that schedule, so starting this week, I will try to post three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday). I will try to keep ahead of it so I will still have something to post in case of downtime or emergencies. Life happens.
Anyways, thank you for reading and commenting. I am enjoying this immensely.
Dani Rabbit is an alternate-history science-fiction story told in serial blog format. It is presented here in volumes, four of which are bound into a book. It may be found online and read for free at dani-rabbit.blogspot.com.
It is the story of Dani Heywood, an American in a world that diverged from ours around the time of the American Civil War, and a cascade of altered events contributes to a radically different history. Dani grows up in the wake of this change and is a product of the inexorable forces which constantly drive the evolution of the world.
Dani is a rarebit (pronounced like 'rabbit'), a person born without any primary sex characteristics. Rarebits are a congenital birth defect caused by the antibiotic Rarin, which was largely prescribe throughout the world to prevent and cure a variety of ills in the 1950's.
Dani Rabbit is a story set in a highly technological world of my devising, much of which is derived from other books and stories I've written (i.e. the Clarion, Solomon, Galegi, Trojan Wars) or am writing. However, Dani Rabbit explores the social side of a particular issue (GLBT and Gender politics in the Twentieth Century). It is the first story I've written in serial format, and is largely experimental. The blog updates Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; but if it proves to be popular in the future, I will consider posting every other day and/or starting other blogs for different characters in different times.
Join Dani and her family as they struggle to find acceptance in an unforgiving world which is radically different from ours—yet disturbingly similar.
The story starts here:
Differences in Dani's World:
- President Andrew Johnson was impeached and replaced by Benjamin Wade,
- U.S. Grant, Grover Cleveland, Teddy Roosevelt and FDR all served three terms as president,
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton was the first female Supreme Court Justice,
- Eleanor Roosevelt was the first female president.
- The XVI Amendment establishes woman's suffrage in 1876,
- Prohibition was implemented by the XVII Amendment in 1880 and lasted until it was repealed by the XIX Amendment in 1899,
- The XX Amendment limits statehood to states which share contiguous borders with existing states. Consequently, Alaska and Hawaii are territories; there are only 48 states after 1912.
- The Spanish American War lasted eleven years (1898-1909),
- The World War (combines WWI and WW II, 1914-42) was totally different, and the US didn't get involved until 1922,
- There was a second American Civil War in the wake of the World War,
- The Vietnam and Korean Wars didn't happen; instead the US fought in south Asia, invaded the Philippines and, retook many islands in the South Pacific Ocean during the same time period.
- Powered flight was achieved by 1895,
- Digital vacuum tube electronics became widespread by the 1920's,
- Space flight started in the 1930's, and humans have a permanent by the 1960's,
- Spaceflight was commercialized and commonplace after 1975,
- Life was discovered on Venus, Mars (extinct), the Jovian satellites, and Titan.
- Economics: The Great Depression was delayed, resulting in a series of even worse worldwide depressions later on (German Empire, 1934-1945; USA, 1940-1950; Japan, 1942-55).